Monthly Archives: June 2017

Electoral Commission set for polling: Gamato

By : The National

THE Electoral Commission is ready for the start of polling on June 24, says Electoral Commissioner Patilias Gamato.

It has started distributing election awareness materials to the 22 provinces, with the start of polling only three weeks away.

Gamato said the updated roll had been completed, the polling schedules ready, ballot papers unpacked for distribution to the provinces, the 8000 metal ballot boxes were being shipped and ink and seals were ready.

“In terms of preparation, we are ready for polling,” he told The National.

“Most of the non-sensitive materials have been delivered.

“Containers are going to provinces.

“You can see that we are already in motion to conduct the election.”

Gamato said temporary election workers would be trained to conduct polling and counting.

“By next week, we should train polling officials. Training manuals have been sent to the provinces,” ” he said.

“Election managers and returning officers have been trained, so they will do cascading training – training poll officials and count officials, as well as scrutineers.”

Gamato said the next three weeks would be critical to the success of the election.

He said one of the big task was to get Central Supply and Tenders Board to approve contracts for helicopters.

“One of our big tasks is to get the Central Supply and Tenders Board to approve contracts for helicopters, because we’ll be using helicopters in remote places,” he said.

“The Australian Defence Force will assist us, but they will only be flying materials to the main centres.

Gamato said Defence Force vessels would be used in maritime provinces such as Milne Bay.

Electoral Commission media officer Alphonse Muapi told The National posters being distributed to the provinces carried various messages on the election process.

“We have 14 different messages, one on each poster,” Muapi said.

“The posters will be distributed nationwide. Once they are sent out to provincial capitals, they will be distributed to the districts for display and awareness.”

Advertisements

Manase Calls Out Poyle

June 1, 2017
Kandep
Candidate for the Kandep open seat Alfred Manase has raised concerns over the fact that sitting MP and Opposition leader Don Polye is yet to visit his constituencies in Kandep.
Mr Manase believes Mr Polye is too afraid to front up to the people who are angered by his failure to deliver on promises and fulfill pledges that he had made during the previous election.
“If Mr Polye is to visit the people, he will have to confront his failures and that would be too glaring to accept. He would see schools, aid posts and roads that are unusable and be confronted by people angry with him over a clear lack of services in the Kandep region.”
Manase has also raised concerns over the campaign strategy being employed by Mr Polye during this election.
To date, the Opposition leader has not yet set foot in Kandep.
Mr Manase believes this might be indicative of Mr Polye’s plan to commit electoral fraud as he had allegedly done in the past.
“Don Polye is hiding from the people of Kandep, and is proof that he is too scared to face up to the people he has ignored for over a decade, ” Mr Manase said.
“I am now reading in the newspaper that he has chosen to attack the Electoral Commission, the one authority who will be there to stop him from cheating as he did in 2007 and 2012.”
“Don doesn’t want the PNG Defence Force in Kandep, either; he fears having a safe and secure election will stop his people from intimidating voters in Kandep with firearms.”
“Anyone who wants to be the prime minister of Papua New Guinea needs to respect democracy. Mr Polye’s attack on the PNGDF, the Electoral Commission and local police who are not ‘loyal’ to him shows that democracy is something Don wishes he didn’t have to deal with.”
“I have spent the entire campaign period visiting the people of Kandep and seeing firsthand the consequences of Polye’s 15-year leadership. There are no roads, schools are falling apart, and there is no healthcare. What has he done with his DSIP funds?”
“Don should stop being a coward and face the people he has let down. He should not be allowed to call himself the alternative prime minister while his people are suffering like this.”