Why so long?

By: Post Courier – 21st February 2017

Late Ruby-Anne’s father speaks out against the suspect’s release and police investigations

The father of the young woman who died almost a week ago has raised grave concern on the manner in which police have been dealing with the case.

Maurice Andrew Laufa, the father of former Miss South Pacific PNG, late Ruby-Anne Laufa, expressed his concern on the delay in police investigations on the death of his daughter. Late Ruby-Anne Laufa was alleged to have died after sustaining injuries when jumping off a moving vehicle allegedly driven by her boyfriend near the Waigani section next to the University of PNG.

The suspect was apprehended by police and was locked up at the Boroko traffic police station but was later released.

Mr Laufa in a statement expressed concerned on the release of the suspect and the way the police were dealing with the matter.

“I express serious concern about the questionable and apparent lack of urgency in police investigation into the tragic death of my daughter Ruby-Anne Laufa on Saturday, February 11, 2017,” Mr Laufa stated.


He claimed that the Boroko traffic office had registered the death of her daughter as ‘suicide’ in the occurrence book without prompt investigations on the cause of death and interviewing of potential witnesses that provided their names and contact details to the police.

“The police statements suggesting suicide as a possible cause of my daughters tragic death is highly contemptuous, suspicious, insulting and without an aota of truth.”

“It is even absurd and insane to suggest that and treat my daughter’s death as motor traffic related,” Mr Laufa stated amongst others.

Mr Laufa who is a senior lawyer and Lecturer of Law at the University of PNG for almost 30 years further stated that he has always believed in the integrity, fairness, honesty and competence of the country’s criminal justice system- including the police criminal investigations.

“My belief, trust and confidence in our criminal justice system, specifically the police criminal investigation have been tested in the last 10 days after the death of my daughter,” Mr Laufa added.

Attempts to talk to NCD Central Commander Sylvester Kalaut and his Metropolitan Commander Ben Turi were unsuccessful.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s